Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thoughts on time and mortality 2/20/14: A Tribute to Adam Czyz

Today was a big day for the senior class at Palmer High School: senior class picture day. I'm a little sad to admit that I've been looking forward to this day for quite some time. And yet, it's still hard to believe that today was the day. A lot of time was wasted dreaming about what my senior year would be like. But as I shuffled into the gym with 436 other seniors I couldn't help but be disappointed. Looking into familiar faces, and some unfamiliar, I realized how far off from reality my imagination really was. I'm proud of who I am, and it's been a long journey to this point, but it's sad that a lot of my ideas and dreams weren't realized this year. Today is also a very important day because it marks the candlelight service held for Adam Czyz, a Palmer student that passed last Friday. I knew Adam because we both attended Horace Mann Middle school. I'll never forget his passionate love of foxes when we were kids or his irrational fear of public speaking, but it's hard not to regret the many lost opportunities to be closer with him. He was a wonderful person, that much I know. But at the end of his life I only have those memories to cherish. It's a crazy thing, death. Looking back at all those innocent faces I grew up with it's not easy to imagine that eventually, we will all die. Adam was taken too soon and he will be dearly missed by everyone that knew him, including me. But in his death comes a blessing for those around him: the reflection of life. In remembering how fragile life is we should let go of the past and all it's transgressions as well as the stress and anticipation of the future. There is nothing like the present and we too often take it for granted. There are no garuntees that we will have a tomorrow. I know it's hard to live life as if it's the last day you have, but for the sake of Adam I plan to appreciate the people and time that I do have. Forgive and forget. Holding on to the past only prevents you from living now, and hoping for the future only leaves you disappointed. Tragedy is always present, it just takes something close to home to help you see it. For anyone reading this please take these messages with you and pass them on: life is short and fragile, never leave angry, always open yourself up because the pain of rejection is always better than the pain of regret, and treat those around you with love because even if you survive today- they may not. Rest in peace Adam. We love and miss you. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this. Your thoughts on this are great. I didn't know you had a blog either ;)

    ReplyDelete